By: Geoff Rubin, Fitness Propelled, CPT/CIFT/TRX II
Despite the cold, we are all still seeking a defined abdomen. Throughout our sculpting process we work the rectus abdominus, transverse abdominus as well as the often forgotten about obliques. In our newest video we showcase 3 “Oblique” centered exercises that will help you transform those love handles into a defined lower abdomen. Why focus on “Obliques”? Performing the correct oblique exercises, improves the form, function and definition of your core muscles.
Obliques (internal / external) serve as stabilizers, and are engaged in almost every compound lifting movement and almost every physical activity. This pair of muscle is located on each side of the rectus abdominis.
External obliques run diagonally downward and inward from the lower ribs to the pelvis, forming the letter V. You can locate them by putting your hands in your coat pocket.
- External obliques originate at the fifth to twelfth ribs and insert into the iliac crest, the inguinal ligament, and the linea alba of the rectus abdominis.
- The external oblique muscles allow flexion of the spine, rotation of the torso, sideways bending and compression of the abdomen.
Internal oblique muscles are a pair of deep muscles that are just below the external oblique muscles. The internal and external obliques are at right angles to each other.
- Internal obliques attach from the lower three ribs to the linea alba and from the the inguinal ligament to the iliac crest and then to the the lower back (erector spinae).
- The internal obliques are involved in flexing the spinal column, sideways bending, trunk rotation and compressing the abdomen.
Fitness Propelled’s: 3 Exercises to Boost Your “Oblique” Workout on the Bosu Balance Trainer
Be sure to connect with us!
- Website: http://www.fitnesspropelled.com
- Follow us on Twitter @ FPropelled – https://twitter.com/FPropelled
- Like us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/FitnessPropelled
- Pin and follow us @ http://www.pinterest.com/FitNsPropelled/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUeuNEGlf9yilJ6Yd-pI5XQ/feed
- View us on Yelp @ www.yelp.com/biz/fitness-propelled-llc-scottsdale
- Google Images